Trust the Experts in Cleaning Contents Affected by Smoke
Fire Problem? No Problem! Call SERVPRO of Albany & Americus Today at (229)-439-2048
Type of Burn and Residues Dictate SERVPRO's Cleanup and Restoration Methods
Whenever a fire starts inside a building, smoke can affect many different items. During a fire, combustion which is in the process of a soild turning into a gas by applying heat takes place. Smoke is created by materials that do not burn completely.
During a burn, smoke can travel all over the structure causing various problems. A big part of mitigating fire damage is dealing with smoke-related issues. When a blaze takes place materials all over the home, get coated in soot residue, and foul odors get left behind.
When restoring a house damaged by smoke, our SERVPRO technicians inspect the structure to figure out which areas were affected. We determine which cleaning methods to use based on how concentrated the soot is, the type of residue present, and the kind of materials affected. If the soot is heavily concentrated, then it can be difficult to clean whereas light residues can be wiped off easily.
A fire creates different kinds of smoke throughout its duration based on the materials it burns, the speed of combustion and the amount of oxygen. When synthetic materials are burned, they create soot that adheres to surfaces better than residues resulting from natural substances such as wood. Fires that burn slow and lack oxygen produce a wet smoke that can be extremely difficult to remove compared to quick burning fires that create a dry smoke.
The type of materials surfaces are made of also affects the cleanability of soot residues. Non-porous materials such as plastic and metal repel moisture well making them easy for our SERVPRO technicians to clean using wet, water-based chemicals. Non-porous materials such as softwood and upholstery absorb soot residues better, and they can penetrate deep into the material. Water-based chemicals can soak the soot deeper into the material causing them to get ruined. Dry cleaning methods such as wiping with a dry sponge prove to work better in removing soot from porous substances.
Various methods are available to use when dealing with multiple types of soot residues affected by different kinds of materials. There are different types of cleaning chemicals as well as application methods that are designed specifically for dealing with certain situations.
SERVPRO of Albany & Americus is here to help you 24/7/365 with any fire damage and restoration issue.
Please call us at 229-439-2048
Why Mitigate Water Damages?
Mitigation is KEY to reducing damages sustained during a water damage! Call 229-439-2048 to learn more!
Water damages can happen at any time of day, and on any day of the year. The key to reducing the amount of damage done is to mitigate, or lessen the severity of, the water intrusion into your home or business. There are many benefits to trusting a professional water damage mitigation and restoration team, such as SERVPRO of Albany and Americus, to perform this service:
- Employing a well-trained, equipped, and experienced professional for you water damage needs ensures that you receive the highest possible level of service for your property.
- Proper mitigation reduces the amount of damage sustained, resulting in a lower cost of repair for the home or business owner.
- Timely mitigation causes less interruption to the day-to-day activities performed within the building. Reducing business interruption is a key focus for SERVPRO of Albany and Americus’ team when performing commercial services, and we also pride ourselves on being as non-intrusive as possible while working in your home.
- Drying out a water damaged property quickly reduces the occurrence of secondary damages, such as microbial growth or warping of wood. The longer that porous materials are wet, the more damage they are likely to sustain.
No one ever plans ON having a water damage, but it is imperative to always plan FOR the possibility. Offering 24 hour a day, 7 day a week emergency response, and providing service throughout Southwest Georgia, SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is your locally owned and operated cleanup and restoration specialist, capable of handling damages of all sizes. To learn more about the services we offer or request assistance, please give us a call at 229-439-2048. SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is Faster to Any Size Disaster!
Watches vs. Warnings – What’s The Difference?
Know the difference between watches and warnings to protect yourself during a severe weather situation!
We’ve all heard our local news teams and meteorologists broadcast things like “a severe thunderstorm watch has been issued for your area” or “tornado warnings are in effect for the following county until 6:00 PM CST”, but what does this information really mean?
Understanding the difference between watches and warnings when it comes to weather events is paramount in protecting both yourself and your property from disaster. The difference between the two defines HOW you should prepare, WHAT actions you need to take, and WHEN things should be set in motion. The National Weather Service defines severe weather watches and warnings in the following ways:
Watch: Be Prepared! Severe weather is possible in and near the watch area. Stay informed and be ready to act if a warning is issued. The watch area is typically large, covering numerous counties or even states.
Warning: Take Action! Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property. Take shelter in a substantial building. Get out of mobile homes that can blow over in high winds. Warnings typically encompass a much smaller area (around the size of a city or small county) that may be impacted by large hair, damaging winds, or tornadic activity.
Always have a way to receive weather alerts, follow the guidance provided by local authorities, and make your personal safety the top priority during severe weather events. When damaging weather does strike, know that SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is Here to Help restore your home or business. As your locally owned and operated cleanup and restoration specialists, our team has the training, experience, and equipment to handle losses of all sizes. Proudly serving the communities of Americus, Dawson, Unadilla, and surrounding areas, SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is Faster to Any Size Disaster!
Severe Weather Forecasted? Prepare Your Property to Reduce Risk of Damages!
Prepare NOW for future stormy weather!
Stormy, and sometimes severe, weather, including heavy rain, lightning strikes, and tornadoes is all too common in Southwest Georgia. While SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is Here to Help by responding to mitigate and restore your property AFTER damages have occurred, we would also like to share with you some tips for preparing your property for stormy weather, in hopes of reducing your risk of damages:
- Clean Out Your Rain Gutters: Clogged rain gutters allow rainwater to pool on your roof, increasing the risk of water damage. Regularly cleaning out your gutters allows water to flow away from your property.
- Consider Installing Storm Shutters: Protecting your windows from wind-driven rain and flying debris during a severe weather event greatly reduces the possibility of damages to your property. This option also provides a safer environment for any occupants present during the weather event.
- Secure or Store Outdoor Furniture: Especially during storms with higher wind gusts, unsecured furniture can quickly become dangerous to both people and property. Storing or securing these items provides less “ammunition” to cause damages.
- Maintain Your Landscaping: Removing overhanging tree branches and trimming foliage regularly can provide protection for your property in multiple ways. During a storm event, a well-maintained yard provides less material available to become wind-driven storm debris. With less debris, there is also less matter to clog draining systems, reducing flooding risk.
Sometimes, even the best preparations are not enough to avoid storm damages. For your “uh-oh” and “oh-no!” property damage moments, trust SERVPRO of Albany and Americus to help. Serving the communities of Leesburg, Camilla, and surrounding areas, our team takes great pride in providing the highest possible level of customer service during times of disaster. To request service, learn more about our offerings, or schedule an appointment with our team, please give us a call at 229-439-2048. SERVPRO of Albany and Americus: “We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!”
When the Water Level Rises
Flood Damages? Call SERVPRO of Albany and Americus for your damage restoration needs!
What’s a common, and often quite damaging, occurrence when storms pass through? You guessed it: FLOODING. Not only can flood waters cause significant property damage, but they can also be dangerous to people and pets. Understanding the different types of flooding that can occur in Southwest Georgia, as well as some general flood safety information, can help you better prepare and protect yourself during flood situations.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory defines three types of flooding that we may see in Southwest Georgia:
- River flooding occurs when water levels rise over the top of riverbanks due to excessive rain from tropical systems making landfall, or persistent thunderstorms over the same area for extended periods of tim River flooding tends to happen more gradually, and it often closely and reported on by local authorities. When river flooding occurs, it is important to try and stay out of the affected area, as moving flood waters can sweep people from their feet, and at high enough levels, sweep vehicles away.
- Inland flooding occurs when moderate precipitation accumulates over several days, intense precipitation falls over a short period, or a river overflows because of a debris jam or dam or levee failure. In these instances, areas that commonly do not experience flood waters may be affected. During periods of heavy rain and thunderstorm activity, it is important to stay weather aware, and if you encounter flood waters, turn around and find another route.
- Flash flooding is caused by heavy or excessive rainfall in a short period of time, generally less than six hours. Flash floods are usually characterized by raging torrents after heavy rains that rip through riverbeds, urban streets, or mountain canyons. They can occur within minutes or a few hours of excessive rainfall. They can also occur even if no rain has fallen, for instance after a levee or dam has failed. Flash flooding is extremely dangerous, as little to no warning is often available. Never attempt to drive or walk through flash flood waters, and if trapped in a flooded area, move to the highest possible ground away from the water.
Protecting yourself and your loved ones is the top priority during a flood, or other storm, situation. Once the waters begin to recede, know that SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is Here to Help with your property damage needs. With the backing of over 1,700 franchises nationwide, we have the resources, expertise, and training to respond to losses of all sizes, and take great pride in being of service to our community. To learn more about our services, please give us a call at 229-439-2048.
We Offer Reconstruction Services Too!
Give us a call at 229-439-2048 to learn more about our reconstruction division!
SERVPRO of Albany and Americus has served the communities of Southwest Georgia with mitigation services for water, fire, mold, and storm damages for over forty years, but did you know that we also offer a wide array of reconstruction services? Often, after a property damage has taken place, materials will be beyond repair, and will have to be removed. Commonly removed materials include drywall, flooring, ceilings, or baseboards. With the goal in mind to make your damage “Like it never even happened,” we strive to offer a one-stop-shop for both your mitigation and resulting reconstruction needs!
Services that our reconstruction team can provide include:
- Board Up
- Drywall Installation
- Flooring Repair
- Roof Tarping
Serving both residential and commercial properties, we have the resources to handle reconstruction projects of all sizes! To inquire about reconstruction services, learn more about our offerings, or schedule an appointment, please give us a call at 229-439-2048.
Additional Services for Southwest Georgia – Commercial Duct Cleaning
Do your commercial ducts need cleaning? Give us a call at 229-439-2048.
The SERVPRO brand is known across the nation as a leader in fire, water, storm and mold damage cleanup and restoration, both in the residential and commercial sectors, but did you know that your local franchise, SERVPRO of Albany and Americus, also offers additional commercial services, including duct cleaning?
That’s right! SERVPRO of Albany and Americus has the training, equipment, and expertise to clean and sanitize duct work in the largest of commercial buildings. There are many benefits to keep ductwork clean and sanitary, including:
- Extending the life of the HVAC equipment
- Providing better air quality for building inhabitants
- Helping to restore peak energy efficiency
- Helping to reduce or eliminate offensive odors
- Reducing the potential for microbial growth
To learn more about our duct cleaning services or schedule an appointment, please give us a call at 229-439-2048. Serving Baconton, Warwick, Dawson, and surrounding communities, SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is proud to help with your commercial cleaning and maintenance needs!
Common Causes of Commercial Water Damage in Southwest Georgia
call SERVPRO of Albany and Americus at (229) 439-2048
Six Common Causes Of Water Damage
Having to hire water repair professionals can put a damper on your business. Plus, any issues that cause water damage can also put endanger your employees. Therefore, if you spot any signs of water problems, you need to take action. This means addressing the potential causes of damage. Here are six common causes of water damage in commercial businesses.
Improperly sealed windows can cause more damage in a commercial building than a broken pipe. This is because water can seep in around the windows leading to mold growth and damaged wood or drywall.
Changes in pressure, deterioration over time, and freezing temperatures can lead to a broken pipe, which everyone knows is bad. Plumbing issues can lead to damaged walls, water stains, unstable floors, and mold.
If your roof drainage system is clogged, water can fall close to your building. This can do damage to your foundation. The result is puddles alongside or inside your building.
Owning a business where your roof is regularly exposed to heavy rain and snow can cause issues in your roof. Additionally, improper snow and ice removal from your roof can cause damage. This can lead to a leaky roof that leads to mold growth, fire hazards, and structural issues.
Your HVAC system uses ducts to heat and cool your business. These ducts can wear down over time, resulting in leaks that can cause water damage to your building.
Sewer water backups can lead to infections and illnesses. If you notice any gurgling drains or backed-up toilets, you should have the problem fixed and immediately call a qualified restoration company.
If you see any threats to your business in Albany, GA, you should have them fixed immediately. This can include broken pipes, flooding from a sewer backup, or other potential water damage sources. Fixing these issues can keep your business running and your employees healthy.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Albany and Americus to Restore Fire Damages?
Fire Damages? Trust SERVPRO of Albany and Americus to Help!
Serving the communities of Americus, Albany, Camilla, and surrounding areas, SERVPRO of Albany and Americus has been in the cleanup and restoration business in Southwest Georgia since 1969. These decades of experience and training have made our franchise a local leader in restoring both commercial and residential properties affected by fire, water, or mold issues. Along with our longevity in the area, SERVPRO of Albany and Americus specifically employs a team dedicated to fire restoration, including a Fire Production Manager with nearly 20 years of industry experience and a Triple Master Certification from the IICRC.
When you choose SERVPRO of Albany and Americus to handle your fire damages you can expect a quick response, inclusive of 24 hour a day emergency service response, from a professional team that will treat your property as they would their own, the highest level of customer service, and honest, open communication about the status of the project. With the backing of over 1,700 franchises nationwide, and regional “sister franchises” to support us, we have the ability and equipment to handle even the largest losses. We take great pride in providing the best possible service to the members of our community in their time of need and will work diligently from emergency contact to completion of restoration to help make your damage “Like it never even happened.”
To learn more about the specific fire restoration services we offer, schedule an appointment, or request emergency response, please give us a call at 229-439-2048. SERVPRO of Albany and Americus: We’re Here to Help!
Commercial Restoration Services Across Southwestern Georgia!
For your commercial fire, water, mold and storm damage needs, call SERVPRO of Albany and Americus today!
SERVPRO of Albany and Americus, along with the support of a network of SERVPRO franchises nationwide, has the training, experience, equipment, and ability to service commercial properties of all shapes and sizes throughout Southwest Georgia. Headquartered in Albany, Georgia, our strategically built, locally owned and operated team can respond to property damage emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and begin the work to make your loss “Like it never even happened.”
We are proud to offer a variety of cleanup and restoration services for our commercial clients, including:
Our team has worked with a variety of commercial properties, including hospitals, military bases, restaurants, and multi-unit business offices, and we will work diligently to provide a customized restoration experience for your property as well. To learn more about the services we offer or schedule an appointment, please give our office a call at 229-439-2048. SERVPRO of Albany and Americus: We’re Here to Help!