Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus is not usually on safety. You are usually focused on your belongings, and/or on your home. You tend to feel helpless while you stand by and watch your most prized possessions become damaged. Rest assured that SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is highly trained to help you during this time and to help shift your focus. We feel certain that if you call SERVPRO of Albany and Americus first we can help you take your first steps like, what you should do until help arrives, and/or what to do or not do after a fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (229) 439-2048
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.