Preventing Water Damage
We understand how much of a shock a water loss can be, especially since it doesn’t take much to cause the damage. Some things that can cause water damage include:
- Bursting or leaking pipes
- Plumbing Problems
- Crawl Space, Basement, Attic Concerns
- Malfunctioning Household Appliances
- HVAC issues
- Weather-Related Issues and Natural Disasters
At SERVPRO of Albany and Americus, we want to share some tips on what to look for and how to prevent a water loss.
Maintain and Understand your Indoor Plumbing System
- Inspect appliance hoses and faucets
- Inspect showers and tubs
- When away on vacation, shut off the water supply to the washing machine
- Know the location of the main shut off valve in your home
- Install an emergency pressure release valve in your plumbing system
- Repair and protect your home’s exterior
- Caulk and seal windows
- Inspect your roof
- Check your downspouts
- Check sprinklers and irrigation systems
- Install gutter guard
Protect your Possessions
- Store off-season and other bulk belongings in waterproof bins
- Never store valuables or memorabilia where there is a risk of destruction from water.
- Keep belongings stored on shelving off the floor.
Monitor Your Water Bill
Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next without explanation, put your “water detective’s hat” on. Is there a leak in your crawlspace? Or, is it a pipe in your front yard? Don’t leave mystery leaks unattended!
If a water loss does occur, our team is ready to take action and make it "Like it never even happened." We are available 24/7! Contact us at (229) 439-2048.